Why does skin start to look less radiant, dryer and more lined as we age? What are the causes?
As we grow older the subcutaneous fatty layer that lies under the skin becomes thinner, we often notice this in teenagers when we say they have lost their puppy fat. As we grow older we lose more and more of the fatty layer which nourishes the skin. Skin cells in youth are tightly packed together, but due to environmental and dietary effects as we age, the spaces between cells can become larger; larger spaces increases water loss through the skin, something known as TEWL (Tran Epidermal Water Loss). TEWL is aggravated by skincare products that contain high amounts of alcohol; alcohol is a great steriliser, but increases water loss.
Furthermore collagen and elastin in the dermal layer of the skin starts to break down because the body absorbs less of this from our diet as we age. All of the above conditions cause the skin to appear less radiant more lined and dehydrated.
What are the appropriate skincare products to use to help these 3 areas? Here’s what you should be looking for, illustrated by a selection from our own range of all-natural products:
- Deep moisturising with alcohol free products will help prevent dryness and skin will appear more radiant. Alcohol dehydrates the superficial skin cells, thus causing them to become less plump; this increases the spaces between them allowing essential water (moisture) to be lost and also toxic ingredients to enter. Organic Apoteke products are alcohol free.
- Gentle exfoliating with a mild abrasive-free cleanser will get rid of dead skin cells; hence skin will appear more radiant.
- Using a skin firming, anti-oxidant rich serum will help reduce the appearance of lines.
What ingredients should you be looking for to tackle these 3 areas?
A hugely important factor is how easily the treatment is absorbed into the skin. Oil and wax based products are not easily absorbed and just lay on the surface of the skin. It is a common misconception that anti-aging skin care products need to be thick, rich and oily to nourish the skin; they actually have to be light and easily absorbed, so they reach the parts of the skin that need it.
Ingredients good for smoothing lines and wrinkles:
- Peptide complexes or Pentapeptides containing amino acids that will help firm skin by stimulating collagen and elastin. These are found in Organic Apotekes’ Rejuvenating Face Cream, Rejuvenating Eye Cream, Rasayana Rejuvenating Serum and Rejuvenating Face Mask.
- Anti-oxidants prevent oxidation hence keeps skin cells healthy. All Organic Apoteke products are anti-oxidant rich.
- Nourishing organic plant oils and botanical extracts – nourish and rehydrate the skin.
Look for products and treatments that don’t themselves add problems – alcohol-free products and treatments are good.
Look for light, penetrating cosmetics, not thick waxy treatments.