Organic Apoteke is committed to an environmentally conscious and sustainable lifestyle. Eating Vegan is one way to do this.
If you have gone Vegan but crave cheese – then try this Vegan Cashew Nut Cheese. It’s perfect for sandwiches, crackers, pizza. Can be used to replace regular cheese. It’s also super simple to make. Done in under an hour.
You can slice it, grate it or melt it! Not only delicious, but also oil-free, soy-free, and made from seven natural ingredients.
Vegan Cashew Nut Cheese Recipe
- 1/3 cup raw cashews [Soaked overnight in a cup of water]
- 1 heaped Tbsp + 1.5 tsp nutritional yeast
- 1 clove garlic (you don’t want this to be a garlic cheese)
- 5 tsp starch of your choice (Tapioca/Arrowroot/Corn)
- 5 tsp agar agar powder
- 1 Tbsp + 2 tsp juice from lemon
- 1/2 cup +1/2 cup water
- Salt – to taste
- In a saucepan, mix agar agar in 1/2 cup water. Keep aside
- Discard the water from cashews. Rinse them really well. Add cashews to a food processor with nutritional yeast, garlic, starch, salt, lemon juice & 1/2 cup of water. Make a very very smooth paste.
- Add the cashew paste to agar agar mixture.
- Bring this to boil on a low-medium heat until it forms a thick pancake-batter consistency.
- Quickly transfer to ramekins. This quantity makes one full ramekin and another 1/2 ramekin sized vegan cheeses.
- Refrigerate for an hour. Carefully remove from the ramekin and enjoy your cashew cheese!
You could add a pinch of turmeric for a deep yellow colour.
Taste check the cashew paste. If you want more tangy, add more lemon juice, if you want it sweeter – add date juice, add cranberries or any other dried fruit too.