Organic Apoteke is committed to an environmentally conscious and sustainable lifestyle. Eating Vegan is one way to achieve this.
Potjie is a traditional South African 1 pot meal. Fresh ingredients – herbs, spices, lentils, vegetable and fruit are left to simmer together into a hearty thick stew.
An ideal family dinner or a simple crowd pleaser. This is one dish you have to to try. Its super easy to prepare.
Vegan Lentil and Vegetable Potjie Recipe
- 10ml oil
- 1 Cup finely diced onion
- 4 Cloves minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped ginger
- 1 Tsp fresh finely chopped rosemary
- 1 Tsp fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon Crushed red chilli
- 1 teaspoon crushed cumin
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 Cup finely diced carrots
- 1 Cup finely diced celery
- 1 Cup finely diced sweet potato
- 1 Cup finely diced peach or apricot (can use dried fruit)
- 2 Cups dried green lentils
- 1 cup dry soya protein
- 6 Cups vegetable stock
- Salt & pepper
- Pour the oil into the potjie pot (thick based or cast iron pot) to heat up.
- Fry the onion until translucent.
- Add in all of the ingredients.
- Simmer for 40 minutes.
- Allow to stand for 2 hours – this allows the flavours to develop.
- Serve with organic bread or brown rice.