Join our Butterfly Club!
Receive a 20% Discount on subscription as well as Members only monthly offers.
(Earth & Water)
PHYSICAL CHARACTERISTICS OF KAPHA
Kapha is made up of earth & water. According to Ayurveda, this dosha governs the structure of the body. It is the principle that holds the cells together to form muscle, fat, bone, and sinew. The primary function of Kapha is protection.
When balanced – Kapha types have a strong physical build and excellent stamina. They have large, soft eyes; smooth, radiant skin; and thick, lush hair. They sleep soundly and have regular digestion.
When unbalanced – Kapha types gain weight, retain fluid and develop allergies. They become lethargic and sleep excessively. Unbalanced kapha dosha for long periods leads to asthma, chronic respiratory infections, diabetes, and depression.
EMOTIONAL CHARACTERISTICS OF KAPHA
Kapha also supports emotional wellbeing.
When balanced – Kapha types are calm, thoughtful, and loving. They have an inherent ability to enjoy life and thrive on routine. They are strong, loyal, patient and supportive. They love music, reading, and relaxing.
When imbalanced, Kapha types become greedy and possessive. They hold onto things, jobs, relationships and possessions – even when they are no longer useful. They are also stubborn and resist change.
When overwhelmed or stressed, the unbalanced Kapha response is: to act impulsively and emotionally. The suddenly decide, “I don’t want to be involved”.
HOW TO BALANCE KAPHA
1. Follow the dietary guidelines for Kapha Dosha listed below.
2. Wake early (before dawn), sleep less, and avoid sleeping during the day.
3. Indulge in physical exercise every day. You would benefit from practicing the I-Yoga Suryanamaskar daily. Initially complete just 6 cycles and slowly build yourself up to 24 cycles.
4. Do not eat breakfast before 10am. Begin your day with a Liver Flush cocktail :
Recipe: Juice of one lemon, 1 tbs. Olive Oil, ½ apple or pear, blend or juice. You may add a dash of long pepper or cayenne if desired. This should be the first thing you drink every morning.
5. Perform activities that energize the body and mind and stimulate metabolism. Along with daily Suryanamaskar, at least 30 minutes of cardiovascular exercise is also recommended.
6. Use a body brush or loofah to exfoliate your skin. This also stimulates circulation and detoxifies the skin.
7. If possible, use a sauna weekly to promote sweating.
8. When cleaning the teeth, ensure to brush the white coating off your tongue. You may also use a tongue scraper if you have one.
9. The colours that we wear have an effect on our mood. Colours that help balance Kapha are: vibrant blues and greens.
10. Break away from stagnation and clinging to old ways of thinking and behaving. Try to do something different every day.
12. Have a regular facial to detox the skin and keep it looking healthy. A monthly Prana Facial is recommended for you and a Dermal Renewal Treatment at least twice a year to maintain the health and tone of your skin.
13. Kapha skin is beautiful, but to maintain it, a good skincare routine is recommended.We recommend the following routine.
Active Face Cleanse Gel – use this daily – morning and evening to balance and heal kapha skin.
Active Face Hydrate Gel – use this daily – morning and evening after cleansing face to hydrate skin.
Rejuvenating Eye Cream – use this daily – morning and evening around the eye area.
Detox Face Mask – use this weekly – to detox skin and keep it healthy and glowing.
Rasayana Rejuvenating Serum – for those who feel the need for anti-aging therapy. Add a few drops of this serum to your Active Face Hydrate Gel and massage onto face and neck.
Products to Balance Kapha Dosha
KAPHA DIET PLAN
To balance Kapha, eat more warm, light, dry food or cooked light meals.
Spicy food is also good – choose hot Mexican or Indian food, especially in winter.
Dry cooking methods (baking, broiling, grilling, sautéing) are recommended over moist cooking such as steaming, boiling, or poaching.
Do not consume too many sweet and fatty foods, and reduce your salt intake as it can lead to fluid retention. Avoid deep-fried foods.
When Kapha is out of balance there is a tendency eat more than you need, be aware of this when serving yourself food.
Have your main meal at the middle of the day.
Kapha Food Plan
These simple dietary guidelines can be used restore balance to the body and help you feel more energetic.
Asparagus, beets, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, celery, eggplant, garlic, leafy green vegetables, lettuce, mushrooms, okra, onions, peas peppers, potatoes, radishes, spinach, and sprouts.
VEGETABLES TO REDUCE
Cucumbers, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, and zucchini.
Apples, apricots, berries, cherries, cranberries, papaya, pears, prunes, pomegranates, and grapefruit. Dried fruits in general are good for Kaphas, specifically apricots, figs, prunes, and raisins.
FRUITS TO REDUCE
Dates, fresh figs, bananas, coconuts, and mangoes.
Barley, buckwheat, corn, millet, oats, rye, and basmati rice.
GRAINS TO REDUCE
Rice and wheat.
Avoid hot cereals and steamed grains, in general, as they are too moist and heavy for Kaphas.
Warm skim milk, small amounts of whole milk, and eggs (not fried or cooked with butter), goat’s milk, soy milk, and camel milk.
DAIRY TO REDUCE
Chicken, turkey (all in small amounts), and lean fish.
MEATS TO REDUCE
Shrimp and red meat.
BEST LEGUMES (BEANS & LENTILS)
All legumes are acceptable.
LEGUMES TO REDUCE
Kidney beans and tofu.
TRY TO AVOID OILS AND FAT
Only Almond, sunflower, olive oil, and grapeseed oil can be usedin small quantities.
Avoid ALL sweetners natural or synthetic. Eat suitable fruit if sweets are craved.
BEST NUTS & SEEDS
Sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, and flax seeds.
HERBS & SPICES
All are good, especially cumin, fenugreek, sesame, and ginger, which is especially good for improving digestion.