Organic Apoteke Ayurvedic Kitchari or Kichadi
Kitchari is a simply prepared tridoshic (suitable for all physiological types) dish made from rice, moong dal and spices. It has been used for thousands of years by Ayurvedic practitioners to not only detoxify the body but to strengthen and nourish it as well.
How to Make Kitchari
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1/2 cup yellow split moong dal
- 3 teaspoons (ghee, coconut oil, sesame, sunflower or olive oil)
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon hing (asafetida)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 4 cups water
- Salt to taste
- Wash rice and moong dal.
- In a pot on medium heat, melt ghee and add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and hing. Stir for a minute.
- Add rice, moong dal and turmeric and stir until blended with spices.
- Add water and salt. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer, cover with the lid, leaving a small opening.
- Cook for about half an hour, until soft and mushy.
Kitchari is wonderful served with fresh cilantro leaves, unsweetened shredded coconut, steamed veggies, and/or freshly squeezed lime juice.